Mounting a Mac drive

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Wed Jul 10 15:39:47 EDT 2002

Mac OS 9 or X. Don't know if it matters. Mac os 9 and below are HFS file
systems. Should be able to put the drive in and mount it with a mount -t
hfs command. You'll need the device and partition number. /dev/sdb1,
/dev/hdb1 or whatever depending if it's scsi or IDE.

Something like:
mount -t hfs /dev/hdb2 /mnt/macdrive

I assume os X is still HFS??? Anybody? Most macs have OS 9 installed
also with 10 so for OS 9 to read files I would assume its still HFS.

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 15:22, Jonathan Younker wrote:
> Has anyone had success mounting a Mac hard-drive under Linux?  If so, what
> type did you use?
> We've had a Mac G4 fail, and I want to know if it's possible to extract the
> data from it using my Linux box.  I haven't found any how-to's relating to
> this subject.
> Thanks,
> Jonathan.
>

> --
> dangerous content by Dynabrade using Mailscanner,
> and is believed to be clean.
Justin Bennett
Red Hat (Linux) Certified Engineer
Network Administrator