Net meeting

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Feb 28 23:33:32 EST 2002

The kernel & XFree86 are 2 separate packages, and therefore have their own
independant numbering scheme.  THe latest XFree86 is 4.2
(www.xfree86.org), and the latest 2.4 kernel is 2.4.18 (www.kernel.org).

> Is the kernel number the same as the XFREE86 number ?
> Supposedly, according to the chipset mfg website,  the necessary
> drivers for my on board sound are included in every kernel 2.3.4
> and later, and I have XFREE86 3.3.6.

There are 2 major sound card packages that exist, ALSA & OSS.  I forget
their web sites off hand, but either one should offer assistance &|
possible drivers for your sound card.

> The sound HOWTOs seemed rather dated, talking about the
> growing popularity of PCI slots over ISA,  linux vs Win 3.1 and Win
> 95, and XFREE 3.3.1. It looks like I have to find out exactly what
> is, and isn't, in my kernel.

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me