Net meeting

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 18:23:23 EST 2002

Well, it pretty much looks like I've been co-opted into doing a seminar on
basic Unix/Linux filesystems :-)  Here is a basic outline of stuff that I am
planning on covering.  Let me know if there is anything else that you'd like me
to handle.  Please try to keep it close to the overall theme so we don't wind
up in Kansas... that's the point of know return, you know... :-)  (will anyone
catch that one?)

File system structure including mount points, devices, etc.

UserID and GroupID discussion.

File permissions.

Use of the 'chown' and 'chmod' commands. (Brush up on your octal notation...)

Hard links and soft links.

Special files...

If there's time, I can also cover what these things mean in a networked
environment. (NIS/NFS)

Bring your questions...

I also have a plea... If anyone has a projector of any type (preferably one
that can project computer stuff but an overhead will do), please let me know
and bring it to the meeting.  I'd like to be able to let folks see what's going
on with a real screen but I can do transparencies if I have to.  I'd rather not
since the darn things are so expensive.

Cheers!

Bob

=====