DEC ALPHA

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Fri Feb 22 10:29:18 EST 2002

Well, after thinking more about this, I guess it's not as bad as NFS
mounting /tmp.  Even if the drive dies or some hardware conflict
occurs which causes it not to mount, the /tmp directory will still exist.

The only problem would be if the drive is mounted/unmounted while the OS
is up and running.  That would essentially remove any temp files that
running programs are accessing.

But that would be more of a concern for a server than for a desktop, since
a server has a longer uptime.  So I suppose this would pose more as a
concern depending on the purpose of the machine.

But personally, I'd keep /tmp on / unless you're REALLY confined for space
:)

-Rob

> Can you explain why this would happen.
> Bob
>
> Robert Dege wrote:
>
> > SOrry, I haven't been following this thread that closely.  I would like to
> > mention that it is probably not a good idea to separate /tmp from / via
> > disk partitions.
> >
> > If for some reason, that partition fails to mount, or the disk fails, etc,
> > your machine can be left in a crippled state.
> >
> > just my 2 cents.
> >
> > -Rob

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me