DEC ALPHA

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Feb 19 10:34:17 EST 2002

the only time i create a seperate /boot filesystem is when my root fs is
not ext2. i like to use the reiserfs on my systems for that extra
reliablilty and fast boots in the event of a system crash. default
redhat kernels load reiserfs as a module, it's not compiles into the
kernel. because of this if /boot is on a reiserfs slice the system will
not boot since the root filesystem has not be mounted and thats where
the modules live. i have an updates diskette that i use when i setup my
redhat systems that allows me to create reiser filesystems. if anyone
would like this i'll email you the image.

they way i boot my alpha systems is i create a boot floppy and install
milo there. i then setup the NT console to boot linux off the floppy. it
may not be very elegant but i could figure out how to get the DEC
console to boot the system, and it was my only other solution.

darinper at cognigencorp.com