Boot loaders

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Mon Feb 18 00:38:19 EST 2002

Ron,

I dual boot my workstation also.  Gotta keep Windows around till Wine will
play all the games I like ;-)
    At any rate, I still use LILO.. of course I have been running fine for
about 2 years on a nice stable install/customization of Mdk 6.5.  I have
that on my workstation and my fileserver.  I have a crash box that I have
been playing with new distro's on, but I have found that I REALLY have to
remove a lot of junk from the 7.2 and 8.x versions of mandrake.  Personally
I cannot stand Aurora, I like to see what is happening at bootup (successes
or failures).. of course there is the option to disable it, but it took
some time to find the right spot for that.
    As far as Grub, I have never used it really, I guess I have messed with
LILO for so long that it just comes naturally.

Here is a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf file for your reference.  You will
notice that I have Winblows installed on my first hard drive /dev/hda1 and
Linux installed on /dev/hdb1
I also have installed LILO to the MBR of the primary hard drive.  I have
heard of others having to create small partitions on their primary drive to
install LILO under 1024 cylinders, but since I have an 8GB and 7GB hard
drives, that does not apply to me.  If you have like a 20GB hard drive
there may be other parameters that you will have to have or take into
consideration.

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b