Sunday

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrognet.net
Wed Feb 13 21:24:30 EST 2002

THE BEST WAY TO LEARN is to teach someone else.  Pick a
topic, any topic and try to learn enough about it to explain it to
someone else.  Even a topic you know well, teach it to another and
you will be surprised how much clearer it becomes.

	Too true, I train the new employees at work to avoid the "panic"
phone calls from the shift change at 5:45 am on a Saturday.

Being a NEWBIE is even more reason to dig into linuxnewbie.org
and other pages like mandrakeuser.org.  One can only say "I'm a
newbie"  for so long, eventually they have to cut loose and say "I
want to learn something on my own instead of others telling me
what I need to know!"

	I have a huge collection of shortcuts from the LINKS pages of
such sites that I'm wading through, but it takes time.

 I have to spend a lot more time reading or asking very direct
questions on IRC (it's amazing what people will help with when you
don't open with,"I know nothing help me!" but instead "THis is what
I've tried and this is what I think might be causing it, any
suggestions?"

	I don't have IRC, but I do spend time in the news groups. In
some groups, I can often answer 2 or 3 questions before I post
mine, if I don't find an answer already. But some times, the stock
answers aren't enough. It took me 14 months to get my CD-ROM
to work, because "just plug it in set to slave" and "you need to
change your BIOS values" weren't the solution. It turned out for this
1993 Mother, I needed a secondary IDE control board for the CD-
Rom, and it's only recognized in Windows, not the DOS
environment. I went to MUO to find out how to access floppy dives.
The basic answer was click on the icon and change properties. I
didn't even have a desktop icon ! After a few days of digging, I now
grasp [I think] the rudiments of mount points and links, and I have
icons for fd0 and fd1.

HERE IS A SCHEDULE::::::

When I suggested we meet early I only meant those who really
wanted to Quake!
So 11:00-1pm QUAKE or gaming fooling around /setting up.  just
those with games stuff, no real help or newbie setups etc. (unless
you need getting quake started)
1-4 regular meeting time.  At least one hour or more on topic and
then helping people with individual problems (like my stupid
joystick in Flightgear!) then when everyone is sated anyone who
still wants to can play some more. especially since some may now
have a working system after getting help.

	I'm still planning on coming early. I figure I can ask a few
questions while helping set up. If some one can tell  me where boot
log, system log, detect log, and error log are, how to view them,
and what should and shouldn't be there, I can pursue that end while
you all are Quaking. I'm sure it's there; just a missing program mod
or a switch set wrong.
	As to who's in charge of NFLUG, my impression was that it
was a loose association of like-minded individuals, more of a tribal
society or pack structure than a military/executive hierarchical
structure. Technophiles, as a rule, tend to be free thinkers. I read
an article on it some where; I believe it was called "Suits versus
Ponytails". If we were all mainstreamers, we'd be running XP now,
not pursuing Linux, right ?
	I just found out my brother and his wife bought an XP box, so I
have to teach them the basics of GUI and what's where and does
what in Windows. So I guess I'll have firsthand experience of MS
Xtreme Prejudice after all. Come to think, that's what I need for
Mandrake/KDE. The what's where and does what, not the fascist
software !!

Scott

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
Linux: Are you coming, or what?
(from Linux Journal)