Sunday meeting

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 13 04:03:29 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "JJ Neff" <jjneff at yahoo.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: Sunday meeting

> Au contrair (sp) mon frere  (very bad French accent included at no extra
cost)

> THE BEST WAY TO LEARN is to teach someone else.  Pick a topic, any topic
and
> try to learn enough about it to explain it to someone else.  Even a topic
you
> know well, teach it to another and you will be surprised how much clearer
it
> becomes.
>
> Being a NEWBIE is even more reason to dig into linuxnewbie.org and other
pages
> like mandrakeuser.org.  One can only say "I'm a newbie"  for so long,
> eventually they have to cut loose and say "I want to learn something on my
own
> instead of others telling me what I need to know!"
>
> I spent a large amount of time running to others with questions.  I
learned
> little but got lots done.  Now that my most expert source is harder to
reach
> (BOB :-)  I have to spend a lot more time reading or asking very direct
> questions on IRC (it's amazing what people will help with when you don't
open
> with,"I know nothing help me!" but instead "THis is what I've tried and
this is
> what I think might be causing it, any suggestions?"  YOU KNOW WHAT, I went
> #mandrake on IRC to get some help and spent an hour helping others with
stuff
> that seemed simple now.  Suddently I realized I knew something and had
> something to offer!
>
> Rob's idea is a grand one, if we have a topic we want to know about we
should
> volunteer to tell everyone what we've learned to date, so Ron M. if there
is a
> specific topic you want to know about tell us and present what you were
able to
> find out on your own.  Taking my own suggestion I'll start Sunday with
what
> I've learned to date Regarding NIS(YP) and NFS.  Then I'll look to the
experts
> to fill in what I've missed and actually make it work :-)
>
> HERE IS A SCHEDULE::::::
>
> When I suggested we meet early I only meant those who really wanted to Qua
ke!
> So 11:00-1pm QUAKE or gaming fooling around /setting up.  just those with
games
> stuff, no real help or newbie setups etc. (unless you need getting quake
> started)
>
> 1-4 regular meeting time.  At least one hour or more on topic and then
helping
> people with individual problems (like my stupid joystick in Flightgear!)
then
> when everyone is sated anyone who still wants to can play some more.
especially
> since some may now have a working system after getting help.
>
> SO to reiterate the official time of 1-4 should be used for official
business
> unless nothing new is to be presented then it's free time.
>
> Sound fair?  Thoughts suggestions comments analysis blow-by-blow....
>
> JJN

In fact I do agree with you per say, but I do have these viewpoints.

        The definition (Newbie) if we where to look at the membership at any
meeting lets say. Only a few of those there
have enought knowledge and skill to say that truly. Hay I'm past the Newbie
stage. Nearly all but a few in attendance from the last meeting I was at
seemed to me to be more than a Newbie. A Newbie to me is someone who has
heard a little about Linux but has never used it before and would like to
try it out.

        Also to point something else out any (new) individual taking the
group at face value would believe that someone (s) is in charge of leading
and would presume that. I do agree with you that we learn from each other.
All well and good, but if someone (s) is to stand up and say ok lets talk
about this or that tonight it would help if what we are to talk about would
be balanced for (all) levels. To assume that as (we) attend meetings that
there are no more Newbies around is a big mistake. In order to advocate
Linux we must present a balanced presentation of topics scheduled for any
meeting to claim that our Mission Statement on our web page site states that
we advocate Linux.

        If we where to understand that just going to linuxnewbie.org and
other pages like mandrakeuser.org is the end answer to the equation. Then
the statement "I want to learn something on my own instead of others telling
me what I need to know!" Does not totally help out any (new) individual (s)
Then the question remains what is NFLUG'S purpose? What does it have to
offer the general public. Well I will end the discussion here and let these
thought provoking questions linger in the minds of our membership.

Thanks

Ron Maggio