GETTY

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 18:04:14 EST 2002

Yep, you need some sort of getty on the serial port that the modem is on.  Too
many options to summarize here.  Neat stuff like 'if you want to do fax in, do
this' kinda stuff.  The virtual consoles also have getty processes running on
them.  That's what stuffs out the /etc/issue file, the login prompt and then
listens for the login ID.  It then passes the rest to the 'login' process.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob
--- Robert Romito <robromito at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Do I need to run a getty program, like mingetty or agetty, if I never
> dial-in to my linux box?  Does the console for the box require getty?  I
> usually just telnet into my boxes from my internal lan.
>
> I've found information on getty, but none of the sources said when you
> did or didn't need it.
>
> Thanks for the help.  Robert Romito.

=====
Bob Meyer