RPM kernel builds

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Sun Dec 15 18:52:25 EST 2002

For those of us using RPM-based distros, I believe I have found and
fixed the RPM kernel building problem. Here's the synopsis:

After version 4.x, RH split RPM into 2 parts; one part (rpm) is strictly
for package management. The other part (rpmbuild) is for er, building
RPM's. This change has not been reflected in the kernel Makefile.

The quick fix is to goto the next-to-last line in the Makefile and edit
to read "rpmbuild -ta...." (without the quotes, of course)
instead of "rpm -ta..."

I'm currently rebuilding my hacked-up 2.4.19 kernel this way into an
rpm. So far, so good.

Later on, I'll probably cough the logic up into a script and submit it
as a patch against the Makefile to the kernel mailing list.

Good to see you all (finally!), BTW