Research on site development software for nflug.org

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sun Dec 15 18:10:52 EST 2002

Brian,

   I like your suggestions.  I'm not sure who is familiar with packages
such as ones I've mentioned, or CMS (Content Management Systems)
packages in general.  Ones such as PHPnuke and PostNuke are capable
of all of your suggestions, one or two, with some tweaking.

   As per your statement about XMB Forum software. It is free, however,
non-members don't get some of the perks members do. Myself, I am a
paid member, cost is $40/year.  I have the forums running
successfully on about 4 websites. They used to have a project (now
dormant) on SF: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmbforum/

   Currently XMB Partagium 1.8 is the latest "semi-stable" release.  It
is in Final Beta stages.  My own experience with posting bugs in
their forums, is that bug submissions aren't taken lightly and are
seriously considered.  I'd estimate 70%-90% of bugs make it into the
next beta release. I've also been noting they've been releasing Final
Beta releases about once a week.

   In my own opinion, phpBB is a bit buggy, and slow to release fixes.
especially when some are security related. I'm sure I've voiced enuff
opinions on other things, so I won't bore anyone any longer ;) If
anyone would like more of my opinionions, feel free to email me
directly.

  - Tony