W2k Question

David Purucker purucker at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 13 10:30:39 EST 2002

Hello,

The real problem is the router, which may not be configurable enough
to do what he wants.

As to your other question....

>What I suggested is to setup a host entry on the w2k client for his
>ODS.ORG hostname to his internal 192.168.120.40 address. Finally my
>question, I'm looking at his lmhosts file, how would I add an entry for:
>hostname.ods.org 192.168.120.40
>
>or would I do it in a different file?

It would use a different file for a FQDN:

     %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

a standard hosts file, same as UNIX/Linux.

# For example:
#
#  102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#   38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

     127.0.0.1   localhost
192.168.120.40   hostname.ods.org

Hope that was useful,

Dave P.