LDAP and NIS

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 08:58:44 EST 2002

I've been looking more and more at doing the LDAP migration from NIS on my home
systems.  I installed the requisite stuff on my test machine at work and am
playing with it now (trying to convert my /etc/passwd to LDAP)

At home however I use NIS not just for global logon but to pass files like
auto.home auto.master for autofs and I also pass host and other files I want
all machines to have.

My assumption is that after I import NIS user data into LDAP (ALl i'm doing is
importing the /etc/passwd that was used to generate the YP map right?) then I
still need to have NIS to pass those files I mentioned.  My /etc/nssswitch.conf
file will then determine what file calls what service (either local file, NIS
or LDAP)

Am I saying this right?

Ideas thoughts suggestions?

JJN