Labeling Partitions

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Dec 6 09:47:48 EST 2002

a blurb from "man e2label", notice the part at the bottom.
E2LABEL(8)
NAME
       e2label − Change the label on an ext2 filesystem

SYNOPSIS
       e2label device [ new‐label ]

DESCRIPTION
       e2label  will  display  or  change  the  filesystem  label  on
the ext2       filesystem located on device.

       If the optional argument new‐label is not present, e2label will
simply       display the current filesystem label.

       If  the  optional  argument new‐label is present, then e2label
will set       the filesystem label to be new‐label.  Ext2 filesystem
labels can be at       most  16  characters  long;  if new‐label is
longer than 16 characters,       e2label will truncate it and print a
warning message.

       It is also possible to set the filesystem label using the −L
option  of       tune2fs(8).