Is this group still alive?

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Tue Dec 3 10:54:57 EST 2002

I also was starting to wonder if there was some unknown virus going around
and infecting Linux users.
Guess it was just all that tryptophan going around, put everyone to sleep
for a few days ;-)

As a side note, I was never aware of Adelphia screening content or blocking
emails, aside from efforts to control spam.  I do know that their
newsgroups are very minimal and screened heavily, I have never really found
Adelphia news servers to be much use, so I don't use them at all.  I do
recall numerous customer complaints about the news servers and incomplete
posts, threads that "disappeared" and such.  I know they were working on
some new servers to replace the old ones, but would have no clue as to the
status of that project.

But, it does raise an interesting point, if one cannot "trust" the
integrity of their ISP in regards to email and news, since there was recent
discussion about upgrades/updates to the LUG website, would it be at all
possible to implement email services for LUG members?   I have NO clue as
to the current arrangements that are in place to allow the site to operate,
I am under the impression that site space and bandwidth is being donated to
the group, and the additional bandwidth may or may not be an issue, but it
would seem that it should not be a significant source of B/W overhead since
all mail is currently going through the listserver anyway.  Security could
be a point of contention that could put the idea down, but just thought I'd
post the inquiry.

I would be willing to help in any way possible, including donations of
time/energy/capital outlay.  Even though self-employed now and making
minimal $$, I am sure I can squeeze some cash or hardware together to help
the LUG.  I know that the subject of monetary donations/dues has had mixed
reactions in the discussions previously, so I don't know if this is an
issue the group wishes to discuss at this time or not.

Chaz03

At 07:52 AM 12/3/02 -0500, you wrote:
>we're not being blocked by anyone, that i know of at least. it's just been
>quite since around thankgiving.
>
>shipdadip wrote:
>>I am sure it is.  This is sort of a test message, haven't received any of
>>the normal spam I usually get from this group;)  I know Adelphia is
>>blocking Yahoo groups, gotta feeling they're blocking this one too.
>

>--
>Darin Perusich
>Unix Systems Administrator
>Cognigen Corp.
>darinper at cognigencorp.com

"If you want others to follow, give them leadership that they can believe in."