Was: where is the new meeting place?

Gregory J. Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Mon Apr 15 10:27:38 EDT 2002

Hi, Ron!

Linux has been a true 32-bit O/S since 1991 and It works just fine on 386's, but
not (w/o special tweaking, if even then) a 286 or below..  ISA is a 16 bit data
bus, not CPU bus.  True 32 bit refers to the processor internals, not the external
busses.  XP works fine w/ the dual Pentium Pro board I have, even though I have an
ISA slot and the built in sound is also an ISA.  Sound works fine when I bother to
plug in the speakers.  All these buses running around inside these computers!
You'd think we'd need a bus schedule!! ;-)  Too easy to get it all confused!

-Greg