HD/OS issue.. not new meeting place :-)

Charles Rishel chaz03 at localnet.com
Sat Apr 13 01:18:04 EDT 2002

My notes are throughout this message..

>I think your getting off the track here. First off I stated that it might be
>better to suggest to others that if they wanted to install multiable OS's
>that one would have more than one way of installing them,

This is one of the first truth's you find about Linux.. as someone said "If
you haven't found at least 10 different ways of doing something, you
haven't looked hard enough".. this is VERY true.

>and I have found that its less confusing to some

Another truth, but on a personal level

>that as we all know not everyone is a guru.

VERY true.

>When we install linux it names partitions in a different way then DOS does.
>Lets say newbie that may not be aware of how in the heck to install
>Linux that there are many way to approach this installation.

That is what Linux users are for.. support and education

>Yes it does sound a little out of the norm to use a drive for each OS to
>be installed.
>But it is a lot more easier to allot a drive for each one than to play around
>with partitioning a drive for dualbooting!

Not always.. first there's cost, secondly, what if someone has (like
myself) a cd/burner, cd/reader and 2 hard drives installed already.. I dual
boot, the 1 OS per HD is PURELY as I had outgrown my drives, installed
another drive, moved Linux.. this is why I figured it would work on the
server.. just that I had never dealt with a 40GB hd before.. I have a 7GB
and a 8GB in my workstation..

>I was only offering a suggestion
>not a carved in stone opinion. I have smaller drives in my (older) units and
>two systems dualboot with two drives. One for windows and another for linux.
>I have an older system with Win NT workstation and Mandrake 8.0 and another
>with Win 98 SE and RedHat 7.2 I found it a whole heck of allot easier to do
>an install this way because if I messed up all I had to do was format the
>drive with linux.

This is a truth in kind to me, I have had no issues since I learned the
importance of boot disks.. but I also look at it this way.. If you are to
lose one hard drive, you do lessen the impact!!

>  There are as I said many ways to approach a dualboot installation this
> is one way that I
>often suggest, but if someone has larger drives like 40 gigs or larger well
>thats up to the user to pick and choose which way to go.

  Agreed also, it is up to the end user on how he/she wants their system
setup, and what they want to do with it.  I always cringe when someone asks
me "How should I install Linux" but when I ask the what they want it to do,
they just kinda look like "what do you mean".  I feel that someone should
have a plan for what they want to do with the tools prior to buying them.

I'm gonna let everyone go now..

Once again my $.02 is in the kitty :-)

Chaz®