KDE 3

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Apr 9 21:19:44 EDT 2002

There are 2 new icon themes that come with KDE 3.0 that make it more savve
to the eyes, kinda like WinXP does with their "over-the-top" Eyecandy
enhancements.

The loading screen does scare me, since every revision of KDE gets closer
and closer to what a Mac loading screen looks like.

Konqueror is a lot faster with load times than 2.2.1, and it's nice to
know that my preferences weren't pooched during upgrade.

I am pleased with KDE 3.0.  I haven't noticed any significant fallbacks,
other than the hell I went through to upgrade the rpms.  At one point, I
started compiling the source, with great resentment to rpm's :)

So right now, I'm using WinXP'ish style icons, along with a Mac aqua'ish
window theme, and I didn't even have to reboot for the "changes to take
effect"

-Rob

> I read some on it on slashdot this morning, definitely gonna check it
> out. Meanwhile, I've been using the Gnome that is packaged with Mandrake
> 8.2, Very polished!
> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 19:13, Bradley J. Bartram wrote:
>
>     Hello all -
>
>     I don't know if anyone has had the chance to use KDE 3 yet, but I just had the
>     pleasure of installing it.
>
>     It ROCKS!!!!!
>
>     Bob Meyer gave me a copy of it today, so I figured I'd put it on my office
>     workstation which is running Mandrake Prosuite 8.1.  There were a couple
>     dependencies which needed to be installed.  Basically it needed some ODBC
>     libraries and a lesstif based library.  A grand total of four, which I was
>     able to get from the install cds.
>
>     It installed, I logged out and then logged on and voila instant gratification.
>     Konq is awsome although the javascript seems to be more sensitive to improper
>     code than the earlier versions.  Kmail has some great new interface
>     additions, like color coded PGP / GPG signature alerts.
>
>     The Icons and graphics are great.
>
>     I can't say enough about it.
>
>     Thanks Bob!
>
>     brad