FHS

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 21:01:24 EDT 2002

Generically, most distributions seem to be putting things in more or less the
same places.  The biggest difference I typically see is stuff like
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/rc.d/rc?.d vs. /etc/init.d and /etc/rc?.d or
/sbin/rc?.d

--- "S. Lawton " <green_man at bluefrognet.net> wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2002, at 11:49, Gregory J. Neumann wrote, in part:
>
> > Yeah, that's an excellent idea, and all the Distro's need to come to some
> agreement
> > on that pronto!  Although, as I understand it, the various flavors of Unix
> don't
> > agree eithre ...
>
> The various disrtos seem to be gravitating toward it as they evolve.
> Things I have read say things like "Such and such file may be
> found here, unless you're running GNU/Debian, in which case it is
> found HERE." Aparently, Debian is an absolutely free range
> animal, because it's totally "open", and anyone and everyone has a
> hand in it.

Debian tends to put stuff in different places but I think that it's more in
deference to 'BSDish' mindset, rather than SYSV.  The only one that typically
annoys me is SuSE that likes to keep one huge file with all of the variables in
it and then have ALL of the other things parsing that file for information.
That's just bad JuJu for those of us that have been around for a million years
and grew up with self-contained files for each thing.  The single file concept
has the same problem that Micro$oft has with the registry.  If that one file
gets hosed, the whole machine is hosed.  You typcally can patch the SuSE one
into function where Windoze typically has to be reinstalled.

> > Microsoft sort of tries to standardize the filesystem setup w/ the "Program
> Files"
> > folder in Win95.  It was always fun in the DOS world to try to remember
> what arcane
> > "8.3" format code a program setup would use! :-(
>
> They just said, "Now what key is the hardest to find on the
> keyboard because no one ever uses it ?"
>
> "AHA !!! The TILDE !!! That'll fix 'em !!!"
>

> > At least Linux allows more descriptive names!
> >
> > Another thing I'd like to see is a certain basic set of command line
> configuration
> > tools that's incluted in EVERY Linux Distro.  Such as "xf86config".  I
> installed,
> > sucessfully, Gentoo Linux this weekend, but I can't find the X-Windows
> > configruation tools.
>
> I just read that chapter in "Running Linux" this afternoon. It says:
> .... the XFree86 documentation in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc . You
> should especially see the file README.config, which is an
> XFree86 configuration tutorial .......
That's where the files live for Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2.  'README.config' doesn't
exist on 8.1, though.  The files for different cards are in that directory.

> and
>
> ........ you can find the values for many cards in the files
> modeDB.txt, AccelCards and Devices. These files are all in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc . In addition, there are various README
> files for certain chipsets .......
>
> See if Gentoo put them there, or if it's a mustang like Debian, and
> put them somewhere in /etc. My impression, from my reading,
> having never run it, is that Debian hangs a lot of stuff in /etc that
> most other dists hang right in /usr.  :-)
> .
>  Again, I'm not looking very hard, but I'd really like to see
> > certain tools agreed upon as standards that you can use to configure a
> basic setup
> > from the command line.  After all, X-Windows is a GUI that sits over top of
> the
> > basic system, unlike Windows, it's NOT the system, and you can totally
> ignore X-
> > Windows and still have a very productive machine using text editors, word
> > processors, email programs and web browsers that run very happily and
> effectively
> > from the command line.
> >
> Pretty much what I got from "Running Linux".
> A chapter  on configuring for your monitor, and a separate one on
> window managers, what they do, how, and "they're really neat, but
> not necessary, per se".
This is where the distros seem to work better.  You can specify a monitor type
in the initial config, rather than trying to figure out modelines and monitor
frequencies.

Cheers!

Bob

=====