Meeting place

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 09:54:36 EDT 2002

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/pmap.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=1505+Cleveland+Dr&csz=Buffalo,+NY+14225-1848&city=Buffalo&state=NY&slt=42.941306&sln=-78.745500&zip=14225-1848&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=8&cs=9&name=&desc=&ds=n

The link above will display a map to Computer SOS on Cleveland/Cayuga in
Cheektowaga.  We have had a chance to visit and meet with the managmement.
They are very optimistic about letting us use what space they have.  While we
are losing a LOT of space (a few thousand sq feet :-) we are gaining a
kitchenette, dedicated internet access, and an environment conducive to
computer geeks, and a real guarantee to be allowed to use the space! (no more
having to find an open Door!)

In return to free use of space the company merely asks that we keep the space
clean, do not take anything we didn't bring in, and tell your friends and
family about their great DSL service (I actually added that last part but it
wouldn't hurt!)

Actually Cptr SOS does also sell consumables, so while we will continue to
assist each other as well as we can with swapping old parts, if you have a need
for a few patch cables, or a 3 connector SCSI cable, there is a good chance
they will have it much cheaper than CompUSA.  HOWEVER there is absolutely no
obligation to buy anything or feel like you have to - it is merely a
convenience, like the bathrooms or free parking! (Please no debates on whether
this is advertising on the mailing list, we have always put our sponsors or
people who donated things on our web site and mentioned them on the list:-)

We will have to learn how to make best use of the space as the conference room
and general area next to it are ours to use, the conference room will seat
10-15 depending on how much table is in there, and the adjoining common area
will seat that many easy.  We will determine in time, the best layout and with
the help of the SOS staff (one of their employees will always be there both as
a sponsor and an NFLUG member) will create an easy to use and work/play in
environment.  We already determined a couple ways we can get everyone situated
in order to do presentations (As long as we keep getting to use that fantastic
overhead display!)

The topics seem to be pretty set for next meeting, Security and Standard File
System Hierarchy.  However we will of course meet at 11am for those who wish to
Quake.  PLEASE DO NOT come at 11 to get help installing or just to say you
don't like games!  11am (or anytime before that) is for people who want to play
games (and for those who may need help getting the game running but still want
to play), the OFFICIAL meeting is from 1 to 4 pm as always.  During that time
we will do installs have a presentation and work on Linux stuff.  Afterwards
it's open to debate.

Thanks all, hope to see everyone there!

John J. Neff
Robert Meyer