LDAP (Sorry for the double post)

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Apr 4 14:41:25 EST 2002

we run OpenLdap 2.0.33 on redhat 7.1, 128mb ram, 500mhz processor and it
SCREAMS!!! we have thousands of records in the directory and searchs are
back in the snap of your finger. we ran it back to back with netscape
(iplanet) and i did see any performance hit with the same data in each.

IMAP (inetnet message access protocol) is a method for accessing email
message, it's like POP3 but the messages are stored on a server. you
could compare it to M$ exchange or lotus notes. i run the Cyrus IMAP
from carnegie mellon university. it's a very powerful open source IMAP
implementation that runs on all UNIX platforms, provides full support
for IMAP, POP3, KPOP, bboards, net news. you can authenticate against
just about any source, ldap, yp/NIS/NIS+, mysql, kerberos, ./etc.
support for the software, via mailling list is excellent. if you want to
pay for support i have a friend who's one of the primary coders, he
works for a local company and they can provide tech support. SUSE's
email server use cyrus on the backend.

if you have specific question about imap feel free to drop me a line or
address questions to the list, ;}