Gentoo Linux

Bradley J. Bartram bradbartram at wycol.com
Wed Apr 3 09:46:15 EST 2002

I think this is a really great point, but as any successful business will
tell you, there is more than a small value in correctly marketing and
distributing a product.

If all distros are using the same base packages, has linux splintered?  I'm
not so sure.  If I want to set up a name server, I can grab the latest bind
release, compile and run on any Linux.  I can expect mostly the same
functionality of any of the distros.  The key differences are really
cosmetic.  For example, Slack has a bare bones installer, Red Hat has
Linuxconf and other administrative tools, Mandrake has the *Drake tools which
take Redhat a step farther.  There are different package managers which work
better than some worse than others (ie., RPM, URPMI, Apt, etc.)

These differences are designed and then marketed to the target audience.  I
don't see a problem with something like gentoo as there's more to Linux than
the coders.  Even Linus said he had no grand plans for his creation, he gave
it away because he sucked at marketing.  The coder wrote it, then the
businessmen sold it (Linus -> Distro Companies).

Everyone involved in Linux contributes to the overall success of the system
in their own way.  Coders write the software, writers write the documentation
and how-tos, users test the software and make recommendations or they use the
software and tell their friends and associates, and businesses package and
polish and sell what they do.  Its a circle of improvement.

I do agree that there seems to be too many distros out there, but in time,
market forces will eliminate the weakest of them and only the strongest most
financially viable companies will be left.  The hobbiest will always be there
creating and improving as they have since the beginning.

I might have gotten off topic on this.  I'm not trying to rant or to flame.
This subject seems to come up often and the common opinion always seems to be
that if one doesn't code, they don't contribute and there are a lot more than
coders involved making linux what it is.

brad