Request for explantion

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Apr 3 09:23:07 EST 2002

> it sounds to me like you're doing everything that you need to do, at
> least what's important. makeing the softlink from /usr/src/linux-x.x to
> /usr/src/linux is not necessary.

Actually, on a few older RedHat systems, there exist some symlinks that
point to /usr/src/linux (and subdirectories located within the source).
But with the release of newer distros, these default symlinks have now
been removed.

I guess overall it doesn't matter, even though redhat will now symlink
their linux rpm src to linux2.4, instead of linux.

I follow the same format of kernel installing steps as you, except I take
the lazy way out & do a final make install, which copies the bzImage, and
System.map to /boot & reruns lilo.

-Rob

> the statement made in the readme really only matters if your one of
> those kernel hackers that is modifing kernel code and then trying to
> build those modifications.
>
> Robert Romito wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > I've been compiling my own kernels for a few months now and am not
> > convinced that I'm doing it right.  I've read the kernel how-to and know
> > the steps to take to generate the kernel executable: make xconfig; make
> > dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install.  I've
> > followed this process before and my kernel always boots fine.  When I
> > download new kernel source, I put in into /usr/src/linux-<kernel_ver>
> > and symlink /usr/src/linux to the kernel source dir that I want.  Then I
> > cd to /usr/src/linux, run make xconfig, blah, blah, blah.
> >
> > Recently I was reading the readme that comes with the kernel source and
> > it said I should'nt have /usr/src/linux point to the new kernel source
> > because:
> >
> > "This area has a (usually incomplete) set of kernel headers that are
> > used by the library header files.  They should match the library, and
> > not get messed up by whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be."
> >
> > What exactly is this statement referring to?  Does it mean that my glibc
> > libraries use the headers under /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux should
> > not change unless I change my version of glibc?  Or perhaps the library
> > header files are related to something else?  Do I need to compile a new
> > kernel, boot the kernel and then recompile the same kernel source so
> > it's using the correct headers?
> >
> > I know how C header files work, but am not an expert.  I've tried
> > finding details about this on the web without much luck.  Any assistance
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > Robert Romito.
> >

> --
> Darin Perusich