Thoughts for the meeting

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 16:22:54 EDT 2001

Cool idea.  I had thought of the concept of dinking with nsswitch.conf to look
in NIS, then files.  Then you could use your NFS home directory when you were
connected and a small local directory when you weren't.  Then I figured you
could implement something similar to the 'Briefcase' on Windows by having a
system login script that would 'rdist' between the two when you logged in on
the net.  The only thing that wouldn't carry over would be the 'dot' files.
This, of course, means the settings for most things.  I suppose that the
'briefcase' thing would have to do something like copy .[a-zA-z]*, along with
the 'briefcase' folder.

Hmmm... Thinking this out a bit further, you could have it automatically
loopback mount the local home dir on the network home directory location when
the machine was not connected to the net so that all of the names in the
dotfiles work when you're not connected.

I figger that if we put our heads together, maybe we can come up with something
that we could publish to the world 'cuz I'm sure that we're not the only ones
thinking about this problem.

He puzzled and puzzed and puzzled some more.  He puzzled and puzzed 'till his
puzzler was sore...

--- Robert Dege <rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> You'll have to keep your HOME directory local, unless you plan to login as
> a different user when you're not connected via NIS.
>
> You can always use automounter & NFS to automatically make file servers
> available, and appear as local drives.
>
> You can circumvent the whole password ordeal by making your laptop a slave
> server.  This way, NIS will always be available on the laptop, whether
> you're connected to your local LAN, or not.
>
> -Rob
>
> > I was recently reading the NIS HOW-TO in order to learn what NIS was.  I
> tore
> > apart my NT server adn ahve decided to be exclusively a Linux Domain (with
> > Win box for games!) at home.  NIS seemed liek a fine idea!.  I then
> relaized I
> > was not sure what to do with my laptops!  If NIS allows my Home directory
> to be
> > an NFS out onthe netowrk this woudl allow me to have much more drive space
> then
> > I have on my machine (a good thing) but I also want the same program
> settings
> > when my laptop is disconnected or on another network.
> >
> > Has anyone used NIS client on a laptop?  How do you keep a local profile in
> > sync with a NIS profile?
> >
> > Ideas .. possible topic of discussion for the next meeting?  Any NIS pros
> out
> > there using NIS now in a corporate environment?
> >
> > JJN

> > http://personals.yahoo.com
> >

> Dege
>
> Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
> they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

=====
Bob Meyer
Knightwing Communications, Inc.
36 Cayuga Blvd