What are we gonna do today, Brain? -- Suggestion

Ronald K. Wechter sysad3_buff at cnrc.navy.mil
Fri May 18 13:32:58 EDT 2001

All:

I would be very interested on Linux security practices.  Working for the
government security is one of our main concerns.  At this point a Linux
server cannot be used unless a formal security plan has been typed up and a
flow chart made.  This makes it kind of hard to document a security plan for
an OS that has no "true" standards unless standards are made by the SysAd.
Finding out what practices for security are used in the "Industry" for linux
would really help.

Things I would like to know:
* Linux Security Measurements -- Network
*  "                       "  -- Users
*  "                       "  -- System/Configuration
*  "                       "  -- Public Services (FTP, HTTP, Secure Shell,
Chroot environments [how-to])
* Virus Scanning and/or Virus secuirty practices
* Server Fail-Over practices (If the main server is attacked and brought
down what type of configuration should the fail-over server have to ensure
that the same attack will not affect it as did the primary server).

All of the above topics are required to be in full documentation before any
system here is brought online.  Once these procedures are approved then the
server can go into "production".  At some point I also would like to learn
how to secure the network using Linux's routing features (now incorporated
into the kernel for 2.4?) and best security practices for DNS/Bind ( This
could be a whole meeting in itself).

Thank You for Your Time!

Ronald K. Wechter
Network Systems Administrator