another question for the knowledgeable from the clueless

Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com
Wed May 16 19:16:04 EDT 2001

Thanks to all!

I had completely forgotten about freshmeat.net!

I'll see what I have already in my bag of tricks, and then do a download or
two.

Again, thanks very much for the help!

Richard A. Hubbard III
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
 A+, Net+,I-net+
Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
phone (716) 681-8500 x2241
           (716) 206-2241 Direct
fax      (716) 206-2222

                    Robert Meyer
                    <meyer_rm at yah        To:     nflug at nflug.org
                    oo.com>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: another question for the knowledgeable from the clueless
                    owner-nflug at n
                    flug.org

                    05/15/01
                    04:35 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    nflug

Well, where do you want to start? :-)

There's "nmap", "ethereal", "cheops", "tcpdump",... You get the idea.  The
best
thing to do is check a couple of the sites like "freshmeat.net" for
"network
monitoring".  A quick check on freshmeat shows 55 projects that match the
generic "network monitoring" search pattern.

Of the ones that I've looked at (cursory at best), I tend to like
"ethereal".
Their slogan appears to be: "Sniffing the glue that holds the internet
together".

Lots of good stuff out there, especially if you want to map your network or
monitor stuff with SNMP.

Cheers!

Bob Meyer
--- Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com wrote:
> After installing Red Hat (ok, i just had to look at 7.1...)  I had a
> question.  What tools are out there for monitoring the network?  I found
> out that there is a way to switch the nic to promiscuous mode for that
> purpose, but what programs actually do it?
>
> Actually, I don't even need promiscuous mode, I'm just looking for a
basic
> 'top' like tool that can tell me what data rate and network utilization
i'm
> getting.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Richard A. Hubbard III
> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
>  A+, Net+,I-net+
> Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
> richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
> phone (716) 681-8500 x2241