another question for the knowledgeable from the clueless

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue May 15 16:28:53 EDT 2001

You could use ethereal.  It shows you what protocols are being sent
through network traffic. (ie: How many packets of IPX, TCP/IP, NetBIOS,
etc.).  It is even able to show the source location.

www.ethereal.com

-Rob

> After installing Red Hat (ok, i just had to look at 7.1...)  I had a
> question.  What tools are out there for monitoring the network?  I found
> out that there is a way to switch the nic to promiscuous mode for that
> purpose, but what programs actually do it?
>
> Actually, I don't even need promiscuous mode, I'm just looking for a basic
> 'top' like tool that can tell me what data rate and network utilization i'm
> getting.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Richard A. Hubbard III
> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
>  A+, Net+,I-net+
> Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
> richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
> phone (716) 681-8500 x2241
>            (716) 206-2241 Direct
> fax      (716) 206-2222

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.