Weird? Daemon showing up in 'top'

Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com Richard.Hubbard at nhwny.com
Thu May 10 18:45:29 EDT 2001

This isn't earth shaking, but...

I'm getting a  process showing up when I do a 'top' command called
kapm-idled

I wouldn't really care about it but it claims to be 94.4% CPU time, which
seems awfully high.  Of course, I definitely could be getting the wrong
inference while I am reading it, but it seems to be taking up a lot of the
processor.

What is this doing? (Methinks and Advanced Power Management daemon, but I'm
looking for other, more knowledgeable guidance)  Can I safely kill it?
Remove it?

If it is APM, then I would like it gone, because this is a server I'm
configuring.  I don't want to have to walk past it every 10 minutes and
wiggle the mouse!

Thanks!

Richard A. Hubbard III
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, CLI, CLP,LCI,LCP,
 A+, Net+,I-net+
Training Manager, New Horizons Buffalo
richard.hubbard at nhwny.com
phone (716) 681-8500 x2241