Linux Security

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Mar 22 08:39:43 EST 2001

when it comes to security there is no such thing as overkill, expecially
if your machines are on the internet. generally you want your most
paranoid sysadmin in control of such boxes. if you can, i recommend only
running one service per machine. that way if one get's compromised and
your box get's taken down, you don't loose your other services.

running daemons in a chroot jail is a good habit to get into. again, if
the system needs to be secured or it's on the net. certain programs,
like named (BIND) come ready to run chroot'd. others, like sendmail you
need to "prepare" to run chroot'd. running service as a $USER other then
root is another good habit to get into.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Administrator