getting a net admin job

j j galabad at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 18:30:11 EST 2001

Hi Ronald,
I became a net admin after 9 monthes of tech phone
support then 1 year as a net tech. I have no certs.
I think becoming a net admin is like any other job-
it's a combination of working up the ladder, social
networking and certs(including college). After leaving
my net admin job after 9 monthes though Ronald,
I have a question for you. Why do you want to be a net
admin? Myself and my mentors took a fair amount of
abuse from both the users and management and I'm now
under the impression that this is not unusual. No less
then 2 of the guys I replaced basically had nervous
breakdowns. Net admins are often scapegoated, caught
in power plays and are the target of conflicting
demands. A commen scenario is to be underfunded and/or
overworked and then blamed for problems that result
from that. I think my biggest piece of advice would
be to be extremely picky where you choose to take a
net admin job. Do you answer to just 1 boss? Do you
know what he expects? How will your performance be
measured? I wouldn't take any job that couldn't answer
those 3 questions. I think the biggest problem with
net admining is that it doesn't have the prestige,
standards and professional organizations of lawyers,
Doctors and accountants. This despite the fact that a
net admin could probably do at least as much damage or
good as all 3 of those other professions.
Good luck,
Joe
ps. Try to be a consultant-more pay and less pain. Not
to mention you can leave it to the admins and techs to
clean up after you if necessary.