win2lin

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sat Mar 3 11:02:27 EST 2001

> Darin:
>
> I am an aspiring Unix Administrator - What steps do you recommend to take to
> head in the right track.  I currently have lots of experience but no
> certifications - Now I need to play the certification game and get what I
> need to "prove" myself in the marketplace.

When I was interviewing for jobs, there really weren't any certifications
available at the time that were popular enough, or reputable enough to be
consider a viable benchmark of expereince.  Usually the employer would
quiz me on the spot with generic questions.

However, there was one place that I applied for that had me take a quiz on
a website (they were too far away for an immediate interview).

http://www.brainbench.com

It's the best place I've found so far.  They have free certification
tests, and ones you can pay for.  Once you take one of these tests, you
can post the URL to your resume where a certificate shows your score &
level of  experience.  If you do REALLY well, they'll even send you a
certificate in  the mail.... free of charge (even if you take the free
course tests).

Hope this helps.

-Rob

> Thank You

Dege

To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.