Seventeen Years OId and State of the Art

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Mon Jul 30 13:45:15 EDT 2001

AMEN TO THAT!  If it weren't for old, cast off hardware, I'd have no
hardware at all!! ;-)

"My" box: House SMB Server
 AMD 486/DX4 overclocked to 120 MHz.
   32 Meg Ram
   Newer 6 Gig WD drive ( Warrantee replaced, old one cratered using
Win98!)
   Trident 8900 1 Meg.
   14" SVGA Monitor (COLOR AT LAST!!)
   Slackware Linux 7.1 w/ custom 2.2.19 kernel.

 Youngest son's box:
   Gateway 2000 w/ Overdrive 83 (don't divide! Intel inside!)
   16 Meg Ram
   HD had Win98 on it when it was given to me, he likes it, so I haven't
changed it. :-P
   ATI Mach 32 VLB video card

 Middle Daughter: (under construction ... )
   Dell 433L w/ Overdrive 83
   Tseng ET4000 1Meg.
   32 Meg of ram (Maybe only 16 if the kernel panic turns out to be one
of the SIMMs)
   500 Meg Maxtor HD.
   Slackware 8.0 :-)

 Wife's machine:
   Cyrix P200+ (WOW!! Nearly fast!)
   32 Meg RAM
   15 Gig WD HD
   Mandrake 7.2 . seems OK, especially since I replace the Trident 8900
w/ a PCI 4 Meg card.
   She LIKES Linux, especially GIMP!

 "Family" machine:
   AMD K6-2 400 (Thanks to oldest son going to Duron 700!)
   128 Meg RAM
   20 Meg Maxtor
   Voodoo 3 (thanks to oldest son going to Nvidia G-2!)
   Dual boot Win98 (sigh!) and Slackware 7.1

 Firewall:
   486/DX2-66
   20 Meg RAM (30 pin SIMMs!)
   270 Meg Maxtor HD
   SmoothWall Linux firewall 0.98. (seems to handle the CounterStrike
stuff my son does OK)

All happily networked together!  I love it!

I don't count my oldest son's machine.  He's a game fanatic and Win98
user only.  But built his own box, so he's not too bad.  He just thinks
I'm a Linux fanatic because I use it and try to avoid M$ whenever
possible and not enough games are developed for it!

So, that's what we use, and I don't see any major changes in the near
future.

I found the article near to my heart, but amusing in that I kept thinking
"where's he been?  I knew that all along!"  This is one of the reasons I
also like Slackware.  Patrick makes it a point to have a distro that will
run on anything from a 386/SX on, so I don't have to worry about what old
hardware I'm dealing with.  ;-)

Gotta' love the Penguin!
-Greg