Mounting Windows Partitions

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 12 21:45:51 EDT 2001

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you're supposed to mount
audio CD's.  CD Players just directly query the device from the /dev/
directory.

What you can try doing is create a soft link in /dev from you CD-Rom
device -> /dev/cdrom

Most commonly, SCSI CD-Roms start off as scd0.  IDE CD-Roms are dependant
upon the IDE Controller it's on & Master/Slave.

ie:

cd /dev
ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

or

cd /dev
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

Hope this gives you a direction to work with.

-Rob

> Hello Darin,
>   Thanks for the info, it works great. Now, 1 other problem if you could
> help, I have a burner that I like to play cd's on because my other high
> speed drive has a tendency to skip. On Mandrake, I could at least play the
> cd's on the high speed drive but on RedHat, I can't listen to any audio cd
> on either drive, the burner or the regular cd-rom drive. Both cd players
> will mount data cd's but not audio cd's. I have played around a little with
> trying to mount as a scsi device (even though its ide but that's what I have
> read) to no avail. I am wondering if the problem has to do with the file
> system mount (fs). I have been using iso9660, any suggestions?

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.