Adelphia rambling

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Jul 11 15:39:11 EDT 2001

>>From my visit with the Adelphia guys:

24.48.33.2 - Primary (alpha.buf.adelphia.net)
24.48.33.3 - Secondary (omega.buf.adelphia.net)
24.48.33.1 - Gateway

Appropriately named of course :)

I must say that when the Adelphia guys came over, they were actually
intruiged about my linux box & wanted to watch it bootup & obtain the IP
address automatically.  They heard alot of this thing called "Linux" &
wanted to see what it looked like.

-Rob

> Same thing here.  The guy walked in, I handed him the RJ45 cable end and
> said, "All set.  What are the DNS and DHCP settings?"  He didn't know
> ("I'm just an installer ...") and insisted that he had to connect it to
> ONE Win9x computer only, so I shuffled the cables, he was happy.  After
> he walked out, I moved the cable to the firewall, and everybody was
> happy!
>
> I read the service contract 5 times that day, and as long as I don't
> export services off the premises, and don't expect tech support, what I
> do w/ the signal after it leaves the "surfboard" is my business.  I've
> actually had fairly good luck.  But tech support doesn't seem to know
> stuff like "DHCP server" and "primary DNS".  They may not be allowed to
> give that stuff out?  When they crash and burn, that's the only real
> trouble I have.  Adelphia seems to have an annoying habit of changing
> things just enough when they get back up that I have to go through and
> reconfigure stuff.  Like good(?) ol' M$, they seem to want to be able to
> exercise control over your computer when you're not looking and they want
> to keep the stuff "great-big-magic-you-can-no-understand"!
>
> Linksys really put the damper on the home Linux routers, but I always
> wonder about a "black box" thing like that.  Still, it beats being part
> of Adelphia's big happy "Network Neighborhood"!  ("Please disable file
> and print sharing ...")
>
> When it works, it works well!  Last night I got the ISO's for >Slackware<
> 8.0 while my oldest son was either kicking or getting kicked in butt in
> CounterStrike and middle daughter was IM'ing 6 people.  Pretty nice.  I
> don't think our "node" is terribly populated, though.
>
> BTW, If all works well, I've managed to clear my schedule w/ SWMBO for
> the meeting Sunday.  Anybody between Holland and Buffalo via 400 and near
> the route need a ride?
>
> Best regards,
> Greg

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.