netscape 6.2

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sat Dec 29 02:05:10 EST 2001

Anthony,

> netscape communicator version 4 something. Evertime I want to use 6.2 I
> have to use the command ./netscape to run 6.2. How do I get 6.2 to
> execute all the time and how do I put the icon on the desktop to execute

Netscape 6.2 is incompatible with Netscape 4.x, that's why one will not
overwrite the other.  6.2 does have a conversion tool to convert the 4.x
preferences though.

You can remove it if you wish.  But in order to use the 6.2 Netscape, you
need to either soft link the executable into a bin path, or write a simple
script that executes the 6.2 binary.

To update a link on the desktop, well, what desktop?  KDE, GNOME, CTWM,
etc?  Assuming it's GNOME/KDE, I would suggest viewing the icon's
properties & adjusting the executaion binary from there.

> for 7.2. What is the best flavor of Linux to use in your opinion? What
> ones are used in the corporate world? I want to know as much as I can to
> keep my job options open. We are laying off people at my place!!

I really don't think companies favor 1 distro over another.  I think
that's at the discretion of the Sys Admin.  The only stipulation would be
consistency with that distro.  Compatibility is hard enough, without
adding 5 different flavors of linux to a newtork that need to play nice
together.

Dege

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but
they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.