Flavor of Linux to Install -- Drug Dealer Tactics

Gregory J.Neumann gjn at certainlywood.com
Wed Dec 26 11:25:54 EST 2001

Hey!  Maybe I'm the guilty party!!  ;-)  I've used Slackware since 1994!
WAY TO GO RON! :-D
I like it a lot, but my move to Linux was from DOS, so I was used to
command lines anyway.  Especially as the oldest boy was heavy into games.
Anybody else remember trying to squeak 600k free for the latest games and
still be able to have the CD-ROM drive available?  Those were the days??
(-NOT!)
Anyway, Slackware uses the "BSD" setup instead of the "SysV" type that
Mandrake and Red Hat use.  They both work.  I like the "BSD" a little
better, but that may be because I started w/ Slackware.  Fairly complete
iso's are available at slackware.com, including an HTML version of
"Slackware Linux Essentials" in the "extras" image.  AND you can set
Slackware to boot to GNOME or KDE very easily.
You guys ought to check it out.
-Greg
"The Slackware Pusher"(!)
Original Message dated 12/26/01, 10:53:01
Author: "Wechter, Ron" <WechterR at cnrc.navy.mil>
Re: Flavor of Linux to Install -- Drug Dealer Tactics:

I am on Slackware crack myself!  I wanted to learn linux from without
having to worry to much of the Distro making too many changes.  Someone
in the NFLUG suggested Slackware and I am hooked --- Now I have to gain
some courage so and start the LFS program.

So whatever you can get Madrake for I will give you Slackware
cheaper...Cmon everyone is doing it :)
Ronald K. Wechter
NRD Buffalo Assistant Systems Administrator
NRD Buffalo Webmaster
Navy Recruiting Department Buffalo
(716) 551-4901