Flavor of Linux to install?

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 23 05:55:30 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Meyer" <meyer_rm at yahoo.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 10:34 PM
Subject: RE: Flavor of Linux to install?

> Well, I usually have copies of the latest Mandrake Linux at the meetings.
The
> latest is currently 8.1 (Vitamin).  I've been actively trying to convert
the
> whole group to Mandrake through drug dealer techniques (hmmm... Want to
try
> some disks? :-)
>
> Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Bob

<---------------------------------snip--------------------------------------
----------->
Hi Bob

Thanks for the offering. You did hand me Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1 I just wanted
to know what the group would suggest.
I am using Mandrake on two boxes now both 8.0 & 8.1, but I have another box
that I thought I would try different flavor on.
The box with 8.0 also dual boots NT Workstation : Pentium, and 8.1 is one
its own :AMD

I'm working on the DEC Alpha as soon as the holidays are over with. I'll be
posting on this list and LUGOR's list about my trials & tribulations with
setting up the DEC Alpha and through that end get some input as to how (how
to do it) and what steps to follow in approaching the problem of learning
another kind of hardware & software installation. Plus also facing a new
learning curve. ie: RedHat 7.1 on the DEC Alpha box. (trying to learn how to
build and use a Linux Server) really truly!!! (trying an attempt to be funny
here at this point)

I got the IntelliStation up and running NT Server and will be setting up the
network in a (hopefully) few weeks. (God villing..Oy)

So the only other box I have left is the Celeron. I'm installing Windows
98SE 2nd version. (Yes Windoze)on the Celeron and maybe would like to try
something different.ie: dual-boot.

I have one question is there some advantage to push the group towards one
flavor? ie: Mandrake. As far as I can make from it I think your trying to
help us understand the ins and outs of Linux if we are all using the same or
similar flavor. I'm I right or am I right?

Well nice talking to ya and I'll see and talk to you at the next meeting.
Got to go and get some coffee now it 5:45 am.
I must be nutts for getting up this early in the morning. Oh crap wrong
night can't cheet and get a peak at Santa yet. Darn!

Ron Maggio