LFS

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 09:08:02 EST 2001

--- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I would use my Windows box which I wanred my wife was
> going
> to become dual-boot and she should get ready to learn to use Linux for papers
> ad e-mail and chatting. But I am sure I can get Mandrake running faster.  I
> just have very little confidence in my own ability to fix a problem in LFS
> than
> goiing to Mandrake User.org and looking it up.

I know of two things that will really drag system performance down into the
crapper (at least for starting applications).  The first is the "host" setting
in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  If NIS and NISPLUS are in there, remove them.  Also
make sure that your machine is not trying to start NIS client services (unless
you're using both of these things :-).  The continuous attempts to connect to a
NIS server will cause a lot of things to slow down since every connection to
the X server causes a reverse lookup on the address to try to get a name.  The
correct order for non-NIS environments should be "files dns".

The second item that I just discovered at Cybersource the other day is a
situation where you use Drakfont or some such to incorporate MS fonts into the
system.  You have to go into the control panel and check your fonts to make
sure that they haven't been set to bizarre values (like the number '3').  If
that happens, shells will take as long as 20 seconds to start due to
disgusting, evil searches for the font.  To fix, just go into the control panel
under 'fonts' and change them to something like 'lucida-sans' (my personal
favorite).  Then your shells and other things will again pop up in less than
two seconds.

Cheers!

Bob Meyer

=====