New Member

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Dec 19 09:00:39 EST 2001

Well, since you're already behind a firewall, there should be no need for
you to have additional firewall rules implemented on your box.  So, why
not shutdown the rules & start from scratch?

(This is based on redhat 7.2 setup, but should be basically the same):

cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
ls	(look for ipchains &/|| iptables)
./ipchains stop
./iptables stop
/sbin/iptables -nL
(if you see nothing, then you removed the firewall rules)

./httpd status (make sure apache is running)
./webmin status (make sure webmin is running)
./smb status (make sure Samba is running)

Then try your web GUI of configuration

My plug, I don't like GUI configs.  They're good for people who are
starting out, but they cloud the power of console configurations, and make
you dependant on X.  If you lose your GUI, you become a fish out of water.
Also, GUI configs can add certain things that you're unaware of, or don't
allow you to configure or change certain features.

-Rob