ISDN and Linux?

Ronald Maggio r.v.maggio at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 7 08:04:05 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory J.Neumann" <gjn at certainlywood.com>
To: <nflug at nflug.org>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: ISDN and Linux?

> Well, I've reached the bitter end in the "Quest for Access", ISDN.  From
> what little experience I've had w/ Linux and internet access, POTS/Modem
> and Cable Modem, I would expect that ISDN access and routing to other
> computers is a doable thing.  But I have no clue and providers don't do
> much to help!  Has anybody had any experience with Linux/ISDN setups?
> Any "gotchas" to look out for?  It's still iffy if we can get ISDN, but
> I'd like to be prepared.

Hi Greg.
Well can't help you here. The information I asked for from verizon when I
looked into ISDN is this yes its around $100.00 to install it and a small
monthly fee of around $10.00 to use the line, (but its a penny per minute to
use the service.) Also the price plan goes up is you want the commercial
line! (ie: slighty faster speed) otherwise it really is no faster than a
56kbps modem.
So knowing the time I spend online it would cost even more than a cable or
DSL modem and not be anywhere as fast.
My best advice is forget ISDN and get ether a cable or DSL modem. Their
faster and cheeper in the long run.
Well my two cents worth. Take it or leave it. Hope I was of any help?

Oh and by the way to all my friends at NFLUG this is smiling Ron the used
ISDN modem dealer. To all you suckers I mean to all you nice people out
there I have an ISDN modem to sale. Like new, Only use to dial out to church
on sundays by the little old fellow from Amherst. Its all yours for twenty
easy payments of one dollar with no interest charges. Call me at 677-5909 or
1-888-888-8888 and I'll sell you for five easy payments of two cents each
for a small book of smart remarks.

See ya};-)
Ron