NFLUG MISSION STATEMENT

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Mar 31 23:07:19 EST 2000

> > The biggest fires come from the smallest sparks :) A few people come up
> > with ideas and we add some kerosene.
>
> I am totally lost. What do you mean.

Often great things come from the smallest ideas.

> (By the way, I just remembered your "Yuk!!!" comment and it finally
> sunk in. No, we don't need anything formal just a few people to meet
> over beer/pop + pizza or whatever.)

Like when we socialize after a presentation at a LUG meeting.

> > Yes this would be great. Also can get a hold of a transperancy machine?
> > That would be cool.
>
> That's no problem. I have a color DeskWriter and a box of transparency
> material. I probably even have some cardboard frames left. You're talking
> to a guy who used to have a stat camera in his bathroom.

Great. As for the camera I really didn't need to know that :(

> Darin and I are working our ASCIIs off on this and will have it
> ready "real soon now."

Okay. As long a some solution is done. I hope to see it soon :)

> > On
> > the web site we should post where you can send email to the group.
>
> No we shouldn't. The have to fill out the form first and actually
> subscribe to the list. What are you thinking? We could have a guest
> book.

Let me restate that. Right on the join page it first contains info on the
mailing list. Then below that it has the forms to join.

> > I really think
> > nflug at nflug.org should be the contact address.
>
> Probably Ok with Bob Colby and Darin, but see above. If Darin doesn't
> have time to answer the mail it needs to get forwarded.

nflug at nflug.org is a public list. I even sent a email from another address
where I'm not subscribed on the list. The mail still got posted. It was
the blank message I sent. You responded by "James I knew you where a man
of few words....".

So everyone would get the mail. Of course I'm assuming that we all don't
died at the same time.

> > The next point is we should
> > also have a web interface for removal from the list. I can speak from
> > personal experience of users being mad because they coudln't remove
> > themsleves from a list.
>
> I hadn't thought of that but you are absolutely right. There must be
> such a facility already present in majordomo, no?

Yes.

> You seem to know a lot about it. Can you get with Darin and work some of
> this stuff out? I don't know beans about majordomo.

I was list administrator at edgenet which was majordomo based.

"Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
James Simmons                                           ____/|
fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U