installs

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Fri Mar 31 14:40:30 EST 2000

James Simmons wrote:

> > Have more than one thing going at a time
> > so that folks can choose what they want.  I fully expected folks to be
> > doing installs while I nattered on about firewall setups.
>
> Hum.. I have suggested this before. As for installs most LUGs have a
> seperate day where users bring in machines to install linux. Most LUGs
> have this and IMHO I think its a good idea.

It's a terrific idea and we need to get on it and some remedial tutorial stuff.
Moreover, these activities should not become a substitute for our regular
monthly meeting. It is extremely important that those new to Linux become
comfortable with those who are more experienced and start asking questions. All
of us were newbies once.

I also think is is unrealistic to expect to successfully have (in effect) a
three ring circus. If I were a newbie, yes, I would like some one-on-one help,
but not at the expense of having to miss the firewall presentation, which I
might not entirely understand, but which I'm interested in and know I need to
begin to learn about. In that sense, it wasn't wasted on newbies. I should have
said that. I didn't mean to imply that all the work you guys went to was
wrongheaded, a waste of time, or anything. I loved it. And what I thought was
particularly terrific was that nobody seemed intimidated about asking questions.
At least that seemed correct during the brief moments when I could hear because
I had my mouth shut, duh.

So, guys, how do we pull it off.

Let me rephrase that. Blinky is so impressionable. Speak up, Oh Membership, and
be . . . heeled, curbed, or whatever.

THE BLINKER,
Just One Among a Thousand Points of Light