Check Out the NFLUG WEB SITE Update

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Thu Mar 30 17:11:57 EST 2000

Kevin Shortt wrote:

> The site content is awesome. Very thorough and extensive.
> Excellent job done to those who put it together.
>
> I personally don't like the green background, but that's my personal
> problem. :)
> Also, possibly add sendmail to the list of Software's for Linux on the
> "links.html" page.
>
> -k

Thanks, Kevin, for you useful critique (as well as the compliments : > ) <-----
Blinky is beside himself with joy!!!

Let me give some context to what I'm trying to pull off. First, I am not
stupidly in love with the blink attribute, which can be used properly (like the
passive voice). It's just part of the fun I am trying to inject. My feeling is
most LUGs take themselves too seriously, hence, Blinky Foobar, which actually
came from a Buz and Mr. Bumble cartoon strip idea I was playing with this
summer.

I am not thrilled about the green either although it can be improved. What I am
trying to do is force a reasonable set width on any text. Most sites allow text
to run wide, making it hard (on retrace to the line that follows it) difficult.
There are rules for this in typesetting, but HTML ain't that so I'm playing with
a few ideas.

What most people refer to when the complain about the green, however, is that it
is so dark it makes the links at the left almost impossible to see in most
browsers. I am aware of the problem and have long wanted to address it but put
it at the bottom of my priority list. I will fix it next. I also plan to use
Adobe Dimensions to extrude and highlight the NFLUG logotype at the tope of each
page. What's there now is just a place holder -- although I am happy with the
face and went to some trouble to find one I liked. To sum up, the green and
everything else is secondary to maintaining a readable page by means of
constraining the set width of the text.

Thanks also for idea of adding sendmail to the software links list. I will --
AND TO KEEP YOU HAPPY JAMES -- also add qmail, which is supposed to be less
troublesome to use.

Best Wishes,

Dennis & Blinky