NFLUG MISSION STATEMENT

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Thu Mar 30 15:06:12 EST 2000

Bob,

Thanks. You are the only member conscientious enough to reply.
See below.

Robert Meyer wrote:

> Dennis, in the Mission statement, could you spell out what "SOHO
> businesses" are?  Now I didn't just fall off the turnip truck but when
> I got to that part, I just sat there and blinked for a few seconds.  My
> processor went into an exception loop and I had to reboot my thought
> process with debugging enabled.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. SOHO = Small Office or Home Office.
My thought was that members with small businesses have legitimate needs
that can be addressed by Linux.

The good news is at least you didn't go into HALT.

Are you objecting to including "SOHO members" or just not familiar
with the acronym?

> Also, the word 'indeed' has two 'd's in it (where you talk about
> Blinky's "remarkable talent").

Thanks. It's impossible to proof your own stuff and the editor I use doesn't
have a spell checker. Will fix immediately.

> Other than that, looks good to me...
>
> Bob

Thanks again. We need a Meeting Planning Committee of something
to get our nflug list straightened out and coordinate our efforts on what
is to presented, when, and by whom. Since no one listens to me -- I can't
believe people are afraid to speak up, because they think I might flame
them, but I'll take your word for it -- it would be helpful if you or John
Neff raised the issue. Some thought ought to be given to who should be
on the committee. For example, I was pleased as punch to see how Ron
Maggio was asking questions at this past meeting. He and David
Raczyk (from Computers for Children) and Kevin McCarthy (if he
is interested) might well be considered to represent newbie's interests.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. To be honest with you, having worked
very hard to keep this group together and growing, I was frankly
insulted by not being invited to the meeting you, James, and John
had. I didn't stay on Darin's neck making sure we got the projector
and screen only for your benefit. I had been posting regularly to the
list about the need to walk newbies through command line stuff,
which is something I had planned to do, but gave up on the minute
I walked into the meeting. I loved the presentation, but I am sure
it left most newbies up a creek as far as learning how to run Linux.
To expect them to object and speak up is to expect the dead to walk.
Their interests need to be protected and their needs addressed by
and group that purports to be a LUG.

IMHO, LOL!

Dennis