Corel LINUX OS

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 11:36:19 EDT 2000

Enlightenment is the WM desktop I use and I have grown very fond of it.  All
the .deb's are in the potato source and can be apt-get'd from the debian
sources.

KDE (goto kde.org) also has a description of how to add their ftp site to your
apt/sources.list but it has the wrong path, basically you have to add the path
that stops just under the slink location of the packages.gz.
"deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.1.2/distribution/deb/slink i386/"  <--
this is the path as I did it this weekend, just add it as the last line of your
sources.list.  You then do an "apt-get update"  then apt-get the following as a
minimum, kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase (and of course kdegames).
http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/kdefaq-4.html <-- link to the installation
instructions.  Par. 4.3 will tell you that kdesupport is optional but somewhere
else it lists it as necessary for DEBIAN distro so get it.  I did the following
in a few hours over a dial-up and set my wife up with KDE, even made a few fast
desktop shortcuts to Netscape, Freeamp, and StarOffice so it looks very
Win95'sh to her.  Me I prefer E.  Love my BlueHeart Theme.  Even started
messing with starting a clock in the lower right hand corner next to my
iconbox,

JAMES, do you know how I put clock --digital in a Right hand pager as opposed
to the default window that E gives it??

Micah, E lets me put things in an Icon box as minis, has multiple desktops
panels (with the blowup view when you hold your mouse on it which Dennis
Loved...:)and I can also Middle click to rollup the window like a Mac desktop.
So many choices!!  I'm sorry I can't give you more help with distro's haven't
used any others.  I'm gettign used to just grabbing the stuff needed for now.
But I can imagine the pain I'll be in if I have to redo my system from scratch.
 I'll have to bring it to work to use the T-1, Oh well life's a risk...

I finally got Freeamp installed and can now play my MP3's from my NTserver on
my Linux box.  Man, now to get Tombraider playing and get rid of Winders
forever, but for that I NEED Direct X.

Oh I also ran into my first Thrashing episode this weekend while in Netscape,
anyone have any ideas about what causes it or how to stop it other that
power-button?

JJN