Corel LINUX OS

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 10:42:32 EDT 2000

> James, one of the biggest problems office suites for Linux have is that none
> to date do a decent job in completely translating documents forged under
> programs like Excel and Word. This is probably true of koffice as well.
> (Please
> cite any reviews you have found). Until something like Corel Office can
> flawlessly import Microsoft documents, the average business user is not
> going to want to switch. Period.
>
> What I am pointing out is that Microsoft could wise up and beat out its
> competition in the Linux world by porting their office suite to Linux,
> assuring
> the acceptability of Linux in the corporate workplace. No doubt one of the
> reasons, Applix, Corel, and KDE have difficulty doing successful imports
> of MS documents is that MS chooses -- as it has a right to do -- to not make
> it easy by disclosing file format details. (Just a guess.)
>
> Whether or not Microsoft can overcome the suffocation of their own inbred
> corporate culture to even see that they have a great opportunity in Linux
> remains to be seen.
>
> I don't hate Microsoft, but I do hope they fail to see and seize the
> opportunity
>
> presented by the Linux phenomenon. Seeing Microsoft get its just deserts
> would do every programmer in the world a great deal of good.
>
> Dennis

This is so true.  I just read an article that implied that MS's dominance was
not due to its Windows desktop but due to the total control MS Office has in
the workplace.  Until other software can (EASILY) transfer MS documents of any
kind all MS has to do is keep office ONLY  for the MS Windows environment and
most work places will have NO choice but to use Windows (hey that sounds like a
judges decision in the case:-)

There is an excellent (in terms of ease of use and a nice chart) review of
Office software in the Nov 99 Linux-magazine (I'm not sure if it's on their
site or not http://www.linux-mag.com)that lists the ability to transfer MS
Office docs.

JJN