And some actual Group topic ideas...

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun Apr 9 21:47:03 EDT 2000

I still think the idea of contact at nflug.org is teh best idea. It just has
to forward mail to the person(s) currently handling this matter.

> If no one else will speak up on this matter, we have a group
> that is going to hell in a handcart. Remember what happened to BLUG97.
> Why do you think it failed, James?

For one Mark Musone was in charge of the group. In time he became
occupied with his job and no one stepped up to try to take over. Well I
did in the fall of 99. The major problem was poor adversting. The group
was composed of UB students which often get swapped with school work. This
included myself. This time around we have a core of several people that
have the passion to keep this orginzation going as where I was the only
one. The big thing is to advertise which we have. I contacted VA Linux and
a few other places to make them aware of our existance. Plus every now and
then posting to linux newsgroups about us helps.

> please POST-on and don't be surprised by the number of people who have figured
> out how to send dje at pcom to /dev/null (ever wonder why the number of responses
> to your posts seems so small?)

Yes I know a few people that use procmail to filter dennis.

> maybe even one day learn about the "lost transparent background".

Oui what is the name of that window manager that minics Max OS X. It has
transpecent windows as well :)

> We would each have to have a copy of "Running
> Linux", then set up a schedule of how many chapters to read and discuss between
> meetings.  As we run into snags while reading we could check up on each other
> via the list.  Anyone interested?

Thats a pretty good idea. I had something as well planned after the
firewall talk. People should be broken up in groups with one strong person
in linux and they work on a particular problem or discuss together what
question they have and what the answers are.

"Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
James Simmons                                           ____/|
fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U