Sendmail vs Quail. The battle continues

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Apr 8 22:45:07 EDT 2000

Pain in the %$@&$

> You got a root access to a machine with sendmail.  How did you get in
> and did you identify a fix for the problem?  Was it a configuration
> error or an inherent problem in sendmail?

A inherit problem with sendmail. This was with a version of sendmail that
is now a year old.

> I can use a .forward on sendmail to handle redirection of email.  This
> is documented in ANY unix book around.

Thats not what I mean. I was talking about sendmails numerous features.
Their was once a roach in my office. I first hit it with my qmail book.
The roach scrambled aways. Then I picked up the sendmail book. The roach
was then a mess.

> If you're trying to build a monolithic Email server for tens of
> thousands of users, then you have a point. When designing a system for
> that quantity of users, the cost of the hardware grows at a geometric
> rate, rather than linearly in a
> monolithic implementation.  If the system is distributed, the hardware
> costs come down, the use of more common hardware is possible, enabling
> easier and faster recovery from failure and a failure affects a much
> smaller percentage of the population using the service.

No. I'm talking about chek.com which at the time I left had 1/2 million
users on one mail machine.

"Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
James Simmons                                           ____/|
fbdev/gfx developer                                     \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U