NFLUG Mailing List Issues

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Thu Apr 6 10:55:58 EDT 2000

James A Simmons wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Darin Perusich wrote:
>
> > people who want to sign up for the mailing list will do so by sending
> > email to majordomo at nflug.org, i will not add new members to the list by
> > hand or request unless they are having real problems. i'm looking at a
> > few cgi's so we can have a simple form on the web page to get signed up
> > on the list. this will still require that people send back an
> > authorization email. i think should be seperate from the "join"
> > membership page, if someone want's to sign up for the mailing list they
> > shouldn't have to be an "official" member as well.
>
> Here are few cgi scripts I found just in case you didn't find them.
>
>   http://majorform.inetwiz.com
>   http://www.shavenferret.com/scripts/major
>   http://www.evilbastard.au.eu.org/signup.html
>   http://www.vpdev.com/scripts/majorhelp
>   http://www.lunamorena.net/perl/archives.html
>
> I agree about having them have to send a mail back. What I saying is that
> we have a web page that explains things to them. Of course this is up to
> dennis.

No really. It would be nice if I understood why this is such a big deal, but,
no,
it is up to the group. Since it involves a question of policy -- potentially,
splitting the two lists and having to keep them in sync -- I think we should
discuss it at the next meeting. E-mail doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere.

In any case, once we reach agreement as a group, I will be happy to redo
the form in any way we decide to. Right now, the only reason I am getting the
forms at all is that apparently Phor didn't have (or security would not allow)
a forms CGI so Darin thoughtfully changed the links to bounce people to the
form on my personal site. I don't want to have to live with this together, but
I sense some deep disagreement on this subject that I think needs to be spelled
out at a meeting. Maybe there is something, some net tradition or something,
I am missing. In any case, it isn't up to me (or you guys, for that matter); it
is
up to the group to decided something like this.

Dennis