NFLUG Mailing List Issues

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 14:39:22 EDT 2000

<--snip-------->
> In any case, I completely agree that we should not force newbies to cope with
> the relative complexities of subscribing to our mailing list. But look before
> you
> leap to put an Unsubscribe button or check box on our site. I'll put one in
> and
> unsubscribe you tonight, Ok?
>
> Dennis

<----more snip -------->

I am confused by the above.  Why does the membership list (by this I mean
people who actively attend meetings and want to be called) have to be in sync
with people on the mailing list.  I join a bunch of mailing lists just to ask
questions and offer ideas and have nothing to do with a physical group...

Also the ability to join and remove yourself from a web-site is very convenient
and to avoid a 3rd party adding you to "Man-Smack" listservers against your
wishes they require the "mail-back" BOTH for joining and unjoining.  If you
added a button and said "unsubscribe" and used James' address HE would get the
confirmation and ignore it or delete it or forward it to the web admin(list
admin) to check it.

Actually with the first step clearly spelled out (ie send a message to
majordomo at nflug.org with e-mail in body and nothing in subject) then READ the
response and follow instructions to respond.  That was relatively easy for
anyone remotely interested in reading.  If they dont want to read a response
then this is the wrong list (78 messages, most from a guy who can't decide if
he's a flightless water fowl or not,  in 2 days !! eeks)

Just some thoughts.

JJN